Monday 12 August 2013

Offroad Jaunt

The company I work for like to encourage their staff to get involved in their spare time; and when the company you work for is KTM, that means getting dirty out in the bush on an offroad motorbike. How could I refuse. So a few of us headed out into the wilderness about an hour and a half from where we live. Some people were camping out and riding on the Sunday as well, but I headed back on the Saturday after the ride. Partly because I didn't want to stay away in an area without mobile signal when Emma is only a week away from her due date, partly because I didn't want to slow the pro's up for a second day, and partly because my arse hurt after a few hours in the saddle LOL.

Here is where we were (indicated by the red pin).








It was raining on and off all day, so it was nice and muddy (and slippery). The route itself was a 20km enduro track, sometimes used for competitions. It took us 2 hours to get round, but that was with myself and Beck who are novices, and with a few stops on the way round to rest aching hands and arms. I believe that during an event the riders can do a lap in about 30-40 minutes.



It was the first time I'd ridden off-road, but it didn't prove too difficult; but then I wasn't going as fast as the other guys, who have been riding for years. One of them even participates in race events.


Although I agree I look angry in this photo, I'm not. I'm just squinting due to the rain (I didn't like wearing the goggles).


In these next two photos, compare me, pottering round the bend, with Isaac (the racer) sliding round at speed.








The bike I used was a 350 Freeride. Designed to be more forgiving and versatile. A good bike for beginners.


Part of the KTM family.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...