Saturday 19 May 2012

'Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful'

This William Morris quote makes a lot of sense. I never thought we owned that much stuff but when you start trying to get rid of it all it really adds up. I can't believe how many times we have moved home and lugged around boxes of stuff we never look at. Having limited ourselves to a couple of suitcases of stuff to take to Oz, we are really having to be ruthless. What do we really need to be be happy? Very little I believe.


This massive pile is bank statements from the past ten years! All are going in the fire!

Our loft is now empty, and our garage is getting there. And it feels so liberating. I blame advertising for our love of useless stuff. Recently I have noticed how many Queen's Jubilee products are being advertised on TV and in shops (cups, tableclothes, bunting, plates etc) and all I could think about was how it was all going to go into a cupboard to be forgotten (or worse, the bin) the day after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...