Tuesday 29 May 2012

Little Hair Experiment

Over the past couple of years I have become really disillusioned about the beauty industry and its advertising and I have gone from using dozens of products on my hair and skin to hardly anything. And using less and less products is definitely more in line with the low-maintenance, low-stuff, campervan lifestyle I am aspiring to. I also think it is better for you, your body and the environment.

As part of this I have decided to stop washing my hair. The theory being that your hair will eventually self-regulate its natural oils after about 6 weeks. Shampoo washes out the hair's natural oils, and then conditioners filled with artificial lubricants are slapped on in their place, and therefore neither of these products are as important or necessary as big beauty companies would have you believe. I'm currently two weeks in and have only washed my hair in water during that time. It is still oily at the roots but the rest of it is becoming very soft and smooth so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'll put some photos on in a couple of weeks.

Apologies to my brother James who will invariably call me a big hippie.

5 comments:

  1. I use sulphate free shampoo and conditioner and my hair is much less greasy than it used to be and a lot thicker and softer. its also more eco friendly i believe, so if this doesnt work maybe you should try it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried products from Lush? They have a store in Perth I believe. That's what I was using before - not tested on animals, recycled packaging, natural ingredients etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what i use

    http://www.dermorganic.com/about

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read about this technique some years ago and as I was having trouble with my fine hair , I decided to give it a go. The first few weeks are a bit yucky as your head adjusts but after that it has been great. I have now been only washing my hair with warm water for about six years now. I get lots of compliments on it and am regularly asked what I use. When I describe how I look after my hair I get strange looks that vary from horror to disgust. It seems we have been totally indoctrinated into using lots of products. My hubby only uses a head and shoulders type product sometimes. our teens like their hair products so we still buy a small amount.
    Incidentally we all stopped using soap and are much happier for it. Hubs uses a gentle shower gel on his face and we all use knitted washers. I prefer bamboo over cotton (cotton is a bit scratchy). It is kinder to our skin, our budget and our environment: win/win/win. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Dee! I am now on week 11 and although I love how low maintenance it is, it's still quite oily and I don't feel like I've turned a corner with it yet. I'm not brushing it very often so maybe that's the problem. I'm lazy so I'm not going to start washing and conditioning anytime soon ;-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...