Friday 27 September 2013

Becoming parents - one month on

Our little Devon turned one month old last weekend! Although it seems only yesterday we brought him home from the hospital, I'm also starting to forget what life was like without him!


It's been a steep learning curve for Nick and I, and at times looking after this little person is hard and quite overwhelming! For the first few weeks getting out of my pyjamas was an achievement. And while for the first few weeks he was sleeping well, he has started to sleep not so well resulting in a very tired new mum and dad.


Here's some of the things we have discovered on our journey through parenthood so far:

1) Living with a set of grandparents definitely has its perks. It's so handy being able to hand Devon to my Mum so Nick and I can relax or eat dinner together. Mum has a good knack for getting him off to sleep too.

2) Baby carriers are the best. Sometimes Devon won't sleep anywhere but my arms. I can strap him in the carrier, and let him sleep while I have two hands free for making a cup of tea. Genius. I wish I could wear him all day but the little chunk starts to get heavy!



3) A Hyundai i20 isn't going to cut it as a family car. With the car seat, pram and other required baby paraphernalia we will be needing something a bit bigger. We have bought a Mazda MPV this week that has tonnes of space and will also be useful for camping trips. It also means I will be able to get out and about with Devon during the week while Nick is at work, as we only had one car before.

4) Devon changes every day. He has already grown out of his first baby grows, notices things around him and I'm almost convinced he is starting to smile. He does not stop eating, and he is getting chubbier and chubbier. We can't wait for him to become more social, but at the same time want to relish each day in this short stage of his life.


5) It's rather frustrating that you have to convince an over-tired newborn that he needs to go to sleep! Why hasn't nature sorted that one out!

6) I really shouldn't attempt making anymore baby clothes. This face says it all:



Later today, Nick's parents are arriving from England for three weeks and the weather is looking better so I'm really looking forward to taking Devon out and about more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...