Saturday, 13 October 2012

Plan B

We got the van back from the garage this morning. The problem was a dropped valve. Not too expensive to fix, and now that all the valves have been resealed, it's running better (and quieter) than it has ever run before.

The engine sounded great! And we were pleased to get the van back. 

This past week, we have been mulling over what we are going to do next. We have only got 6-7 weeks left before we go to Australia, and if we head off in the van again it's unlikely we would make it to Wales and Scotland and back in that time. Plus the breakdown last week was a stark reminder that these old vehicles are not really reliable enough to drive everyday for extended periods of time. 

So after much deliberating, many late night discussions, compiling of various pros and cons, we have decided to sell the van early. 

It wasn't an easy decision. We have put our hearts and souls into the van, with all the work we have done on it. And we love being in it. Evenings spent inside with the curtains drawn and the kettle on are so cosy. But we always knew we would be selling it one day, it can't come to Australia with us.

So, here is Plan B:

Our brand new, 3m canvas bell tent (currently unnamed). We have decided to carry on with our trip round the UK... but with a tent and a car. 

The pro's are that the car is faster, more fuel efficient, and more reliable than the van. We will be able to cover more ground and get up those hills and down those narrow lanes. The con's are that you have to put up and take down a tent, potentially in the wet. Plus, although the tent is cool, it's not as cool as the campervan. 

But.... we think it will be fun.

If you are interested in buying our van, please get in touch via our facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Thanks for your comment you left on my blog. It's sad to see your van go, but Im sure you will find a good home for him, I wish we could buy it! Good luck with the rest of your journey. Helen x



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...